Stirling Street was one of the streets built on the site of the former Newington Hall, its junction marking the former entrance almost exactly. Following the demolition of Newington Hall it was not long before Stirling Street first appeared in the trade directories, and by 1910 it was fully built upon. The street may have been named after Archibald Stirling, a local councillor and fruit merchant who lived on Anlaby Road; John Archibald Stirling was listed in the 1881 Census as a Tree and Timber merchant and Town Councillor resident at No.3 Coburg Terrace, near the corner of Great Thornton Street. However, the name fits in with the Scottish theme of nearby streets in the same development. Stirling Street was unfortunate to have been one of very few streets in this western area of Hull to suffer bomb damage during the Second World War.