Lansdowne Street was not listed in the April 1861 Census, but the buildings registers record houses being completed there later that year. The street was named in 1861, after the 3rd Marquis of Lansdowne, Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice (1780 -1863), who was a respected cabinet member, often consulted by Queen Victoria, and one of the most powerful Whig statesmen of his time. He also owned property in Hull, and has been referred to as a “slum landlord”, by more than one writer on Hull’s history. Lansdowne Street suffered Blitz damage in World War Two, on its west side, which was later completely demolished for the construction of the Hull Royal Infirmary in 1966/67. The east side remained occupied until the compulsory purchase, and subsequent clearance of the area, around 1980. No original buildings survive and the street now serves as the entrance to Hull Royal Infirmary and its associated buildings .
At the west corner of Lansdowne Street was West Park Terrace, interestingly named, as the West Park wasn’t built for another twenty years. It consisted of just three houses, fronting Anlaby Road, constructed c.1861. The houses remained in private occupation until c.1905, and were taken over by the Hull Incorporation for the Poor by 1910. The buildings survived both wars, but were demolished during the construction of Hull Royal Infirmary in 1966/67.