The extension of Brook Street, involved the demolition of around 10 properties in Regent’s Terrace (Nos.28 to 38). Within these properties were the studios of Turner & Drinkwater, one of Hull’s most respected photographic businesses that was established in 1878. In February 1885 plans for a new “photographic studio” in Regent’s Terrace were approved, and signalled Turner & Drinkwater’s move into new premises. The company moved into it’s premises at No.8 (later 8 & 9) Regent’s Terrace c.1885 and was listed there until c.1897. No.8 Regent’s Terrace had been home to artist Charles Richardson until late 1884. From c.1893 these properties were recorded as No.26-28 Anlaby Road as the streets in Hull were gradually re-numbered. Turner & Drinkwater’s premises were rebuilt in 1904-05 as a high quality Edwardian building named Regent House. The stylish new buildings were designed by Hull architect J.M. Dossor, and Turner & Drinkwater remained there until c.1970. [See double page advert in Port of Hull, 1908]
From the late 1920s a new street was planned, to provide a direct and wider thoroughfare between Beverley Road and Anlaby Road. In 1930 when work had already begun it was decided to call the new street “Ferens Way” (in honour of Thomas Ferens who died in 1930). This project required the foreshortening of Brook Street and the re-naming of its southern end as Ferensway.
Some of the original buildings of Regent’s Terrace remain, and can be identified above modern shop frontages, east of Ferensway. Regent House also remains, and the ground floor is now a café.