House by House Directory of Coltman Street

Eagle Pub

The historical photograph shows the building in 1910 (then Bakers Market; a grocery store) decorated for King George 5th's coronation.

The History of 'The Eagle'
1851 Robert Robinson Eagle Tavern 12 Albert Terrace, Anlaby Rd
1855 Robert Robinson Eagle Tavern Anlaby Road
1858 R. Robinson Eagle 13 Albert Terrace, Anlaby Rd
1860 The licence was suspended for twelve months, possibly due to the rebuilding of the pub.
1861 R. Robinson Eagle Anlaby Road
1863 R. Eagle Tavern Anlaby Road
1867 Robt. Robinson Eagle Tavern 13 Albert Terrace
1872-3 Topham & Spink Eagle Vaults 138 Anlaby Road
1874 Mrs. E.H. Watson The Eagle 18 Albert Terrace, Anlaby Rd
1876 J. Scott Eagle Anlaby Road
1885 Thomas Simpson Eagle Wine & Spirit Stores 18 Albert Terrace, Anlaby Rd
1892 James Bell Eagle Vaults 18 Albert Terrace, Anlaby Rd
1895 James Bell Eagle 18 Albert Terrace, Anlaby Rd
1899 Mrs. Margaret Barnes Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
1901 Mrs. M. Barnes Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
1903 Mrs. Ada Staveley Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
1904-7 Miss Martha Harrison* Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
1909-16 Harry Turner Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
1921 Charles Petch** Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
1929-39 Charles Petch** Eagle Hotel 283 Anlaby Road
1954 Harry Turner Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
1991 Harry Turner Eagle Vaults 283 Anlaby Road
c. 1994-1999 Anlaby Ale House 2000 Name restored to The Eagle

2004 Present Landlord and Landlady Mick and Margaret * Possibly Miss Martha Morrison

 

No. 1

1867 Bores, John. Grease manufacturer (relation to Bores at 187?) (moved to 24 before 1872)
1872-1874 Askam, Mrs Mary A.(Kelly's) (moved to no. 14 before 1885)
1885 Horncastle, Wm. Edwd. (grocer); Whincup, William
1885 Robson, Fredk. (plumber & gasfitter) listed at 1 1/2
1892 Petch, John. Clerk
1899 Petch, James
1899 Robson, Frederick. Plumber & gasfitter
1910-1939 Hunter, Charles William
1920-1930 Hunter, Margaret Brydon
1930-1939 Hunter, Elsie Margaret
1953 converted by CE Pittaway and son to two flats

 

No. 2

1863-1867 Lyons, Captain John (possibly numbered 24 in 1863
1872 Beal, Mrs. Sarah M.
1874 Board, Mrs. M.A.
1885-1899 Atkinson, Mrs.
1892 Ladies School run by the Larder family, Mrs Mary Jane
?? Miss Emily and Miss Jane Larder - Ladies school (see also no. 12).
1910 Crompton, Ben
1920-1939 Gameson Family: Robert (clerk), Mary Ethel

 

No. 5

1863-1867 Haller, Samuel. Gentleman
1872-1874 Sleight, James. Merchant
1885-1899 Pearce, Thomas. Solicitor with the company Middlemiss and Pearce Deputy Registrar Births and deaths, Myton District.
1910 Jeff, George Arthur
1920-1939 Walker Family: William Sutton (butter merchant) & Chloe
1930-1939 Walker children: William Foot, Chloe (jun.)
2000/2001? 5 and 6 converted into Vale Guest House

No. 6

1864 Garrett, Richard
1867 Haller, George R. Shipowner
1872-1899 Shepherd, John George. (Paymaster in chief R.N.)
1910 Walker, William Sutton
1920 Ruspin, Richard Leonard & Lavinia (E.R.)
1930-1939 May Family: Joseph William (foreman), Beatrice May

 

No. 7

1867-1872 Cross: Misses Jane & Lydia H.
1874 Baynes, James. Analyst F.C.S.
1885 Burroughs, James
1892-1899 Baxter, Hermann Reimer. Corn merchant
1920-1930 Bell, Bramwell Parker. House agent.
1930 Bell: Mary Elizabeth & Robina Blanche

 

No. 8

1874 Wilcockson, Rev. Arthur
1885-1899 Pauling, Arthur. Shipping agent.Business premises 18 High street
1920 Dove Family: George Edward, Catherine Sarah, Sydney & Tracey
1930 Waterhouse, Fletcher
1930-1939 Waterhouse Family: Eliza, Cyril Fletcher, John Douglas & Marion

 

No. 9

1874-1885 Ross, Mrs. Ann (moved to 196 between 1885 and 1892?)
1885-1930 Ross, Miss Ann (related to Mrs Annie Ross at 196?)
1920-1930 Ross, Fanny Rowson
A neighbour (from Number eleven) remembers that the misses Ross were rather reclusive, One never went out. The other was "a bonny little woman, with pink cheeks and she always dressed in black. They used to throw rhubarb over the fence for us. But we wished they gave us it a bit sooner because it was rather big and old " – 1939 – Moore Family: Henry & Fanny; Hewick Family: Henry & ??

 

No. 10

1874 Barker, R.H.
1885 Walker, Mary
1892 Henderson (or Anderson), Henry Short
1899 Lindley, Mrs
1910 Skinner, John Henry
1920-1939 Morrison Family: John Arthur (marine Engineer) & Louisa

 

No. 11

1874- Foster, John W.
1885 Davis, Edwin Louis
1892 Coatsworth, William Edward. Shipping agent Office 5 Minerva Terrace
1899 Barker, John Charles
1920 Murphy: James Alexander & Florence
1929-1949 Robinson Family: George Thomas (motor engineer), Maude Sarah, May Foster & Maude (source - registers and memories of their daughter, Maude now -in 2002- aged 87.) Maude told us about her time at 111 where the family moved when Maude was 9. Maude remembers the great wooden doors between their house and the neighbours which served the three houses on each side until the bomb which hit Bean street "blew them to smithereens". (The mine dropped on Bean street the night of friday 14th/Saturday 15th March 1941 caused extensive damage. Casualties included 19 killed and 22 seriously injured)

She remembers the Street as rather well-to-do until after the war when the Council bought two houses (198 and 199 she thinks) and moved in some families whose children played in the street and threw tin cans "not like us". She thought perhaps they had been evicted from elsewhere. Maude (jun) left in 1947 but it appears her father continued to live here at least until the 1949 electoral roll.
1953 Alteration to flats by Wm Isaac ltd.

 

No. 12

1874 Hill, Miss S.
1885 Craven, Thomas
1892-1899 Hill, John. Shipping agent
1920-1939 Larder: Mrs Emily Alice , Wilfred Taun
1920-1930 Larder, Eva Florence
1920 Larder: Mary Jane & Eliza Gertrude
The Larder sisters ran a private school from this house attended by the children of wealthy local people (source, neighbours memories) It is likely that this is the younger generation of the Larder family who lived and ran a school at number 2 in the 1890s.
1930 Larder, Eva Florence

 

No. 13

1874-1899 Watson, Mr Henry
no mention in 1910
1920-1930 Brewster, Thomas
1920 Dalton, James John; Leckie, Lawrence
1930 Oxtoby, Edwin
1930-1939 Oxtoby, Gertrude Alice
1939 Miller, Ann Elizabeth; Jones, Gwyneth Rees

 

No. 14

Built 1862, developer – Michael Peck (who lived at 188). He also had 15,16,17, 189 & 190 built
1863/4 Pyper, James. Most likely a different spelling of the James Piper below. -1867- Piper, James. Cashier
1872-1874 Thompson: Miss C. & Miss H.(Kelly's)
1885 Askham () or Askam), Mrs. Mary Ann. (moved from number 1 after 1874)
1892 Simpson, Mrs Maria (Bulmers 1892)
no mention in 1910
1920 Reves-Brown: Sholto & Amy
1930 Waring: Ernest James & Iza Helen
1930 Searle, Rev. Frank Clifford. Primitive Methodist
1939 Lancaster: Louis Howson & Olive; Hearson: Ernest & Clarise; Holt??, John William

 

No. 15

Built 1862, developer Michael Peck (who lived at 188)He also built 14,16,17 and 189&190
1855?-1885 Symonds (or Simmonds), John
1867 Winter, Charles. Commercial agent
1872 Rowell, J. Agent
1864 Clayton, George Thomas
1892 Upton, Mrs Harriet Elizabeth. Music teacher
no mention in 1910
1920-1939 Salmond, Mrs Ada
1920-1930 Johnson, Mark Tailor (moved to No. 16)
1930-1939 Johnson: Minnie & Wilfred Salmond

 

No. 16

built 1862, developer - Michael Peck (who lived at 188). He also built 14,15,17, 189 & 190
1867 Mitchell, Jas. H. Shoemaker
1872 Woodhouse, Rev. T. Curate
1874 Benson, Mrs. Jane
1885 Brown, John A.
1892 Dawes, William Paxton, clerk/Vaccination officer at 6 posterngate
no mention in 1910
1920 Robinson, George
1930 Johnson, Mark Taylor (moved from No. 15); Robinson: Ada, Olive & Annie; Jefferson, Agnes
1939 Lazenby, Susan Janet; Hill, Joseph

 

No. 17

Built 1851 by Michael Peck (who lived at 188). He also built14,15,16, 189 & 190
1867-1899 Byass, Mrs Elizabeth
no mention in 1910
1920 Hunter, Annie
1930 Pridgen, Harold Edmond. Drysalter
1939 Wyatt, Helen Margaret; Phillips: Alexander Gordon & Kathleen Marie

 

No. 18

Cleveland House c.1885
1846-1855 Witting, James (listed in 1846/1851/1855 directories with no number)
1867-1899 Witting, Mrs Ann
1874 Whiting, Miss Jane
1885 Robinson, John
1892 Witting, Mr James (son?) (Kelly's 1892 lists Witting, Mrs.)
no mention in 1910
1899 Robinson, John. Horse dealer
1920 Jordan: George Richard & Edith
1930 Riley, Alfred
1939 Jarratt: Gofton & Catherine

 

No.19

1910 Beath, James
1920-1930 Thewles, Bartolomew. Fish merchant
1920 Jackson, William
1939 Goforth Family: John William, Beatrice Elsie, George William & Beatrice Edna; Rushton, Edna (abode-18 Ena Street)
This house appears to retain its original unusually patterned tiled roof, which is in excellent condition

 

No. 20

1920-1939 Beath: James (Superintendant Engineer) & Marion Edith
This house appears to retain its original unusually patterned tiled roof which is in excellent condition

 

No.23

The original house no longer exists
1892 Bee, Miss Harriet
1910-1920 Stables owned by Lear, Samuel of Souttergate Hedon
1920 Gibb: Jemima Leile & Stuart Leile; Johnson, Richard
1930 1939 Gibb: Stewart Lee, Richard Johnson, Andrew Brownlaw & Minnie Leila
1939 Gibb, Albert Ernest

No. 24

The original house no longer exists.
Possibly also known as Cleveland House
1872-1874 Bores, John. (grease manufacturer)(from No 1 after 1867)
1885 Bores, Mrs.
1892 Robinson, John. Horse dealer
no mention in 1910
1920 Pederson: Alfred, Dorthea, Julius Andrew Theodore & Alfred Lawrence James
1930-1939 Storr: John William (Fish merchant) & Anne
1939 Storr, John William (jun.)

No. 25

The original house no longer exists
This house was damaged by the landmine which fell on Bean Street in the war
1874-1899 Murray, Robert. Engineer - Robert Murray and Son consulting engineers and marine surveyors
no mention in 1910
1920-1939 Murray, Minnie
1920 25a: Murray, Robert; Wilson, Robert Maver
1930 Murray, Mrs Annie
1930-1939 Landless, Frank
1939 Horton, Fred
25B–1885-1899 Law, Andrew Brown
1920-1930 Andrew, Mrs Elizabeth
1920 Harper, Jesse Henry
1930-1939 Andrew: Charles Harry & Dorothy
1930-1941? Meadows, Charlie

 

No. 26

The original house no longer exists
This house was damaged by the landmine which fell on Bean Street in the war.(The mine dropped on Bean street the night of friday 14th/Saturday 15th March 1941 caused extensive damage. Casualties included 19 killed and 22 seriously injured)

1872 Maine, W. Gentleman
1874 Butterhill, Mrs. Elden
1885-1910 Magner, Julius (or Junius). Fancy goods dealer-Magner Bros
1920 Riley: Charles, Louisa, Arthur & Sidney
1930-1939 Dowd, Mrs Annie Theodora
1939-1941? Dowd: Cecil Henry Olaf & John Gibson Oliver

No. 27

The original house no longer exists
This house was damaged by the landmine which fell on Bean Street in the war
1863 we have a Stephenson John listed with no house number
1872 Stephenson, J.W. Music seller
1874 English, Marcus C.
1885 Rogers, James
1892-1930 Nutt, James and his wife Mary Jane nee Rogers, daughter of James Rogers, master block maker. Their children James Arthur and Enid Mary Nutt who married Otto Tyrholm of Aalesund, Norway.
1920 Nutt, Mary Jane
1930-1939 Nutt: Susan Mary & James Arthur (wife and husband); Coulthard, Isobel (daughter of Susan Mary Nutt by Joseph Coulthard); Rix, Dorothy, (a widow, and daughter of Susan Mary Nutt by Joseph Coulthard).
1939 Nutt, James Arthur, widower, Highways Surveyor for Hull City Corporation. (Some of this information was provided by Angela Walters, daughter of James Arthur Hassall Nutt, son of James Arthur and Susan Mary Nutt. Their daughter was Winifred Mary Nutt, married to 1st Captain Hedley Tarlington Walker, 2nd John Jones. Angela's older sister is Susan Magdalena Nutt who was born in Hull on 14th November 1948, then living at 24 Victoria Avenue.) Joseph Thwaites Coulthard was a wine and spirit merchant in Hull.

He had 4 children with Susan Mary nee Bell: John "Jack", Isobel, Dorothy and Enid Thwaites.
There were three James Nutts at 27 Coltman Street: James, French millstone maker, his son James Arthur, Highways Surveyor, and his grandson James Arthur Hassall, Sales rep, farmer, colonial civil servant.

Much of the above information about the Nutt family was provided by Angela Walters (nee Nutt), great granddaughter of the first mentioned James Nutt.

The house was destroyed beyond repair by the landmine in Bean Street in 1941. We are awaiting more information and photographs on this.

The bungalows were built in 1954 as memorial homes for retired fishermen and seamen and given by friends of Thomas Hudson JP (1884-1945) in the fishing industry of Hull and Grimsby.

 

No. 28

The original house no longer exists
1872-1885 Rawson, William. Clerk
1892 Holiday, William. Ship chandler
no mention in 1910
1920-1930-1941? Bush Family: Joseph. Optician (Great Grandfather of the present Bush Opticians), Clara Elizabeth, Claude Joseph (his son). Wholesale Bookseller. Joseph also had a son Herman and a daughter Diana. [relationship to Bush at 103a in 1892?]

This information was provided by Vivian Bush (Joseph's great grandson) who also mentioned that this house was bomb damaged during the war and that the family were good friends with their neighbours, the Vice family next door at No 29, who may also have sustained bomb damage. Claude's wife lived into old age and died only recently. Vivian also spoke of his father's shop on the corner of Daltry street where there was, according to family reminiscences, a butchers shop next door. The butcher was reputed to have kept a mongoose which he would put under peoples floorboards to catch rats! A useful asset in those days.

No. 29

The original house no longer exists
1872-1874 Garbutt, W.P. Builder - 1876 moved to/worked from 61 Whitefriargate?
1885-1899 Smith, Robert
1892 Smith, Mrs Harriet
1910-1939 Clark, Samuel Henry. Coke merchant
1920 Clark, Leonard Munroe
1920-1939 Clark, Miss Hilda. Costumier
1920-1930 Clark, Alice Fanny
1939 Spene, Annie; Boynton, Gladys Ada

No. 30

The original house no longer exists
1885 Gibson, Charles. Fishmonger (moved from 32 after 1872?)
1892 Fenner, Henry George. Belting merchant Fenners became a large factory employing hundreds
1899 Malcolm, Herbert
1910-1939 Hurst, Charles Alfred. Cashier (moved from 77 Boulevard)
1920-1939-1941? Hurst, Alice Gertrude

No. 31

The original house no longer exists
1885 Bristow, Robert
1892-1899 Allcott, James Henry. Surveyor H.M.Customs
1910-1920 Walker, John Williams Wilson
1920 Walker, Charlotte Maria
1930 Goacher: Alfred & Emma Dorothy; Wren, Agnes; White, Lilian
1939-1941? Parrott: James & Selina; Weaver, Andrew

No. 32

The original house no longer exists
1863-1872 Gibson, C. Gentleman (no house number in 1863, moved to no. 30 before 1885)
1885 Nelson, Peter
1892 Collier, Robert. Pawnbroker
1899 Sephton, John
no mention in 1910
1920-1930 Rowson: Martin & Charlotte
1939 Morris, Hetty Camelia; Rudge, Adeline; Wilkinson, William Henry; Musgrave, Clarice

No. 33

The original house no longer exists
1867 Marillier, Mrs. Sara
1872 Campbell, M. Flax merchant
1874-1899 Ashton (or Aston), Miss Mary (boys' school)
1892 Truman: Wm. E. (Ship owner) & William Herbert (Clerk) (or Truman, Mrs.)
1920 Bulmer: Thomas, Sydney & William
1930-1941? Beech: George Herbert (Tallyman) & Rachel; Day: John Thomas & Mary Ann; Milson: George Richard & Florence Emma; D'Andilly: Felix & Lilian

No. 34

The original house no longer exists
1863-1872 Todd, Charles Spilman. Solicitor
1874 Strachan, J.
1892-1899 Carson, Robert. Civil engineer/Ship surveyor, Minerva Chambers 3 Minerva Terrace.
1930 Hasluck, Mary Galbraith Adelaide; Downes, Frederick
1939 Myers, William; Charlton: John Henry & Enid; Dixon, Kate; Self, May Jane

No. 35

The original house no longer exists
1867-1899 Duncan, William Easten. Ship owner (Good, Floodman and Duncan)
no mention in 1910
1916 J. Taylor & Sons alter bay window
1920 Duncan, Emily
1920-1930-1941? Duncan, Miss Florence

No. 36

The original house no longer exists
1867 Franklin, Jas. Merchant
1872 Thackrah, W. Wine & spirit merchant
1874 Ashton, Miss M. School
1885 Aston, Miss Sarah Jane (girls' school)
1892-1899 Redfearn, George. Builder and undertaker(source genuki)
1910 Burton, Henry, the younger
1920 Clubley: Martha Charlotte & Arthur Donald
1930 Morrell: Percy Mont & Ethel May [related to 44/45?]

 

No. 37

1863-1867 Gresham, George. Tailor
1872 Woodall, J. Tobacconist
1874 Morton, Miss Eleanor
1885-1899 Leeming, Samuel
1892 Pudsey, Mrs Ann Elizabeth
no mention in 1910
1920 Cook Family: Thomas, Annie & Frederick Noel; Kelly, Harold Gerard
1929 Robinson, Joseph William Cyril & Hilda; Essam, Lottie
1930 Wood, Rev Arthur. Primitive methodist

 

No. 38

1867 Davy, Henry. Piano manufacturer
1872 Healey, Mrs. Jane
1885-1910 Blackwell (or Backwell or Backwood), Joseph Perry. Accountant to Wesleyan Chapel (Scale Lane business?)
1920 Jordan: William Ezra; & Jane
1930 Ware: Brigadier William Henry (Salvation Army officer) & Mabel; Lightfoot, Sarah

This house was owned by the Salvation Army at this time and in 1939 there were alterations to the property to make a church and school room. In 1941 it sustained war damage (source-archives) 1939 Salvation Army alterations.

 

Nos. 39–43

Trinity Wesleyan Chapel. Foundation stone laid 1870. Opened May 1872. Built at a cost of £8,000 to a design of William Botterill of Hull. Decorated Gothic style in Ancaster stone it could seat 1,250. Sunday school at rear circa 1895, designed by Gelder and Kitchen. The Chapel and Sunday School were damaged by bombing in 1941 and demolished 1953. Coltman Street Day Hospital now stands on the site. On the corner of the passageway from Coltman Street to Bean Street the corner post of the old Wesleyan Chapel wall can still be seen.

 

No. 44

1910-1930 Morrell, Frederick Walter. Builder
1920-1930 Morrell, Annie
1920 Ponton, John Hutin
1930 Morrell, J & Sons, builders
1930 Morrell, Ronald [related to 36 & 45?]

 

No. 45

1920-1930 Morrell, Joseph. Builder; Morrell, Ruth
1920 Morrell, Wilfred Lawrence [related to 36 & 44?]

2003 bought by investors who then found they had to resell at a substantial loss on the collapse of the investment company with whom they had placed their trust and their money. A cautionary tale for those seduced by promises of huge returns for small investments and no effort. Sorry but something for nothing is a pot of gold at rainbow's end.

 

No. 46

1910 Jenkins, Hugh
1920 Moston: John; & Emily
1930 Middleton Family: William Wilkenson (Coal exporter ), Mary Anne Elizabeth, Albert, Harry & Lilian

 

No. 47

1920 Thompson, Edward
1930 Jacques, Rev. William (Primitive Methodist)
1930 Ross: Harry & Fanny; Walmsley, Sarah Ellen

Owned and managed by Sanctuary Housing Association. Unit 15 Killingbeck Drive, Leeds LS14 6UF 0845 7 573263

 

No. 48

1885-1899 Farr, Edward
1892 Wilson, George. Dentist (business at 4 Whitefriargate)
no mention in 1910
1920 Sideman: Isador, Annie & Sydney
1930 Frederickson: Mrs. Alice, Willey & Alice Gertrude

 

No. 49

1885-1899 Ford, Charles. Keel and lighter owner
1910-1920 Hudson, Walter
1920 Hudson, Clara
1929 Hull Working Girls' Club – Mrs Elsie Bandey, sec.

 

No. 50

1885-1930 Ford, William. Lighter owner (Business address 47 High street)
1920 Ford, Emma Edgeworth
1930 Ford, Lavinia Alice; Borman, Eliza; Dickie, Mary

 

No. 51

1885-1899 Willingham, William. Butcher (8 Lowgate)
1920-1930 Vice Family: Abraham (Pawnbroker)(moved from 92a after 1910), Emily & Victor Josiah
1930 Vice Family: Cissie, Fanny, Leah

 

No. 52

1885 Wilkinson, John James
1892 Atkinson, Peter. Boot dealer (86 Whitefriargate)
1899 Wilson, James
no mention 1910, female occupant?
1920 Smith: Alfred; & Margaret
1930 Hames, Jas. Skipper
1930 Morris: Bruce Cameron & Ivy; Naylor: Stanley & Ivy; Cornell: Albert Edward & Violet

 

No. 53

1863-1874 Stevenson, James. Cashier
1885 Dalton, Harry
1892-1899 Meyer, August Alexander. Corn merchant (High street)
1910-1930 Filby, George Edward (electoral roll)
1920-1930 Filby, Mary
1920 Filby, George Douglas; Wagg, Arnold Hampton

 

No.54

The original house no longer exists
1867 Newbald, Chas. J. Clerk
1872 Fernandez, Mrs. Rachael (moved to 116 before 1874)
1874 Roach, Robert
1883 Mends, Herbert Archibald.
1885 Good, Thomas
1892 Parker, William. Drysalter
1899 Healey, Mrs
1920 Norfolk: Arthur Edward & Ann Elizabeth Parkinson
1930 Hunter, Jas. Stanley. Engineer

 

No. 55

The original house no longer exists
1864-1865 Stephenson, James.
1867-1874 Hurst, John (jun.) Customs' officer (see also 56)
1885 Atkinson, Robert
1892 Wilkinson, William Bethel. Brassfounder
1899 Potter, Rd. Master mariner
1910 Des Forges, Henry George
1920 Markham, Mary DesForges
1930 Newbond, Chas. Hy., clerk

 

No. 56

The original house no longer exists – temporary photograph
1863-1867 Broderick, Henry Walker (no house number in 1863)
1872-1885 Hurst, John (sen.) Gentleman (see also 55)
1885 Hurst, Sarah
1892 Park, John Edward. Clerk
Genuki also has Miss Emma Hurst at this address 1892
1899 Hurst, Mrs
1910 Thompson, Edward
1920-1930 Bell, John William. Manager of baths
1920 Bell: Ann Elizabeth & John William the younger (E.R.)

 

No. 57

The original house no longer exists – temporary photograph
1872-1874 McGregor, C. Corn menrchant
1885-1899 Moss, Miss Ann Maria
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920 Freer family: Thomas Drewery & Mary (E.R.)
1920-1930 Mosey, Mrs. Margaret

 

No. 58

The original house no longer exists – temporary photograph
1872-1874 Johnson, J.E. Master mariner
1885-1899 Dimbleby, George
1892 Dimbleby, Mrs Charlotte L.
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920 Schollar: Alfred & Lilian; Greenwood, Albert; Leahy, Cornelius
1930 Allison, Jn. Young, L.D.S., R.F.P.S. (dental surgeon)

 

No. 59

The original house no longer exists – temporary photograph
1885 Neillsen, Ludwig
1892 Cowley, Arthur Henry. Clerk
1920 Rea family: William Herbert, Rose & William Herbert the younger
1930 Symonds, Clement Christopher Baker. Salesman

 

No. 60

The original house no longer exists – temporary photograph
1885 Bjorik, George
1892 Collishaw, Edward. Corn merchant for Edwin F Wiley & Co-(see 168)
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920 Bregazzi, Fanny Elizabeth
1930 Bregazzi, Miss Ann B.

 

No. 61

The original house no longer exists – temporary photograph
1863-1867 Lotherington, William (relationship to Richard Lotherington of 1848-1851+ & John L. of 129 (1867-1885?)
1885 Duncan, Mrs. Mary Ann
1892 Jarvis, Walsham (or William). Collector (for Gas company)
1899 Harrison, Mrs
1910 Barker, Robert
1920 Eyre, William; Greensiff, Ellen
Gertrude Eyre and Ellen Greensiff moved to 72 before 1930

 

No. 62

The original house no longer exists – temporary photograph
1864-1874 Storr, Thomas. Gentleman
See No. 132 1885-1899 Walker, Percy
1892 Boyes, Frederick Bryan. Chief officer
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920-1930 Baker, Hubert Walter. Clerk
1920 Baker, Maud

 

No. 63

1867-1874 Boddy, William H. Commercial traveller
1885 Wilson, James
1892-1910 Hopper, Marshall. Foreman
1920 Lepick: Isaac & Miriam.
1930 Mein, Mrs. Ada

 

No. 64

Previous number could have been 27 – not proved + will need checking.
1864 Sherwood: Joseph.
1867 Frith, John E. Shoemaker
1872-1885 Taylor, Mrs. Elizabeth.
1885 Linwood, John
1892-1920 Harris, John. House agent
1930 Harris, Gervas. Clerk (possibly John Harris' son) (moved from No. 84 after 1920)
1939 Clayton: Eric Wilfred. & Bessie Norah

 

No. 65

The original house no longer exists
1864-5 Appleby, Robert Calvert (see Calvert terrace 138-141)
1867-1874 Wilson, Thomas. Surgeon
1885 Fowler, Skelton
1892-1899 McCollah (or McConnah), Mrs Elizabeth
1910 Brown, Alfred
1920 Beaumont; Harry & Harriet Gertrude; Statham, Frederick; Nuttall, John
1930 Mather, Jas. Docker

 

No. 66

The original house no longer exists
1872 Finningley, J. Butcher
1885-1899 Soulsby, Mrs. (relationship to Soulsby's at 93, 94, 119 & 128)
1892 Carter, James. Boiler maker contractor (Gibson bros-)
1910 Honigbaum, Maurice
1920 Rush: Eustace & Ruth
1930 Brindle, Ronald. Rullyman; Starks, Jas. labourer

The present house was a 'self build' project constructed in the mid 1980s by the present owner. 'Self building' was not as common or popular in those days. Now many people aspire to having a house they have designed themselves!

 

No. 69

Originally a house, stable and coachhouse.
1851 Rousby, Thomas (listed at no. 25 before re-numbering)
1892-1910 Gibson, James. Colour mchnt
1899 Gibson, William
1920 Middleton, Mary Elizabeth (E.R.)
1925 West Hull School for Mothers and Clinic
Alterations to West Hull Clininc - House, stable and coach house

 

No. 71

Once known as 'Carlingford House'.
1872-1899 Myers, George. Chemist
1892-1920 Kerr, Francis. Master mariner
1920-1930 Kerr: Mrs Mary Miller & William Frank

1972(beginning)-1973(end) This was the first home of the now internationally famous Hull Truck Theatre Company. Hull Truck was started By Mike Bradwell and John Lee who knew each other from schooldays in Doncaster. After each of them had completed their further education they got together and started an unnamed Theatre company in London. They wanted to produce plays which were outside the regular theatre circuit, playing in universities, schools, pubs and clubs. this was at the time a new approach. Since London was expensive and the boys were young and hard up, they moved with the 'game' half of their theatre company to Hull. Here they found it cheaper to rent the whole of 71 than it was to rent a tiny flat in London. This gave them the opportunity of living in two of the flats whilse using the "freezing cold" attic as rehersal space. In the early months they had only a parrafin heater for warmth. The Hull Truck Theatre Company was born with the help of generous donations from some of the famous people they wrote to to ask for funding. Notable among these benefactors were Warren Mitchell and The Samuel Beckett Foundation with £50 and best wishes from each. During their brief stay in Coltman Street (around twenty months) They wrote and produced three plays, two childrens plays and a cabaret. They finally left because "they forgot to pay the rent". Even though they were gaining excellent reviews they were still a young theatre company with a tight budget!

 

No. 72

1872-1874 Ledger, H.J. Gentleman
1885-1899 Wharwick, William Johnson
1892 Pashby (or Pashley), Edwin Vokes. Master mariner
1910 Collier, Robert
1920 Green: Alfred Henry & Ethel May
1930 Greensiff, Mrs. E.; Eyre, Mrs. Gertrude (both ladies moved from no. 61 after 1920!)

 

No. 73

1851-1874 Ellis, Henry Moorhouse. Insurance agent (no number 1863, listed @ 73 from 1865) (wholesale grocer and seedsman in 1851 census)
1885-1899 Marshall, Thomas. Com. traveller
1910 Hay, William
1920 Pawson: George Heary & Mary
1930 Waudby, Herbert Ashmore

 

No. 74

1867 Murray, Ronald Henry. Clerk
1872 Jubb, Mrs. Thomasina
1874 Jubb, Joseph
1885 Lewis, William
1892-1899 Fisher, Frederick. Accountant (for dock co)
1910 Maude, John
1920 Collins: John, Sarah Ellen & Charles Leadham
1930 Elder, Joseph William. Fish merchant

 

No. 75

1867-1899 Hickman, Mr James Brodie. Clerk
1910 Morrison, John Arthur
1920 Hogarth: Ernest Morley & Florence
1930 Anderson, Arthur. Motorman

 

No. 76

This house may have formerly been Numbered 49 John wilson registered at 49 then at 76 after number changing- but this should be checked with caution

(possibly 1863) 1867-1874 Wilson, John. Master mariner
1885-1899 Soustern, John
1892 Souster, Mrs Agnes
1910-1920 Johnson, William
1920 Johnson, Sarah Ann
1930 Voase, Frank N. Ironmonger

 

No. 77

1867 Smith, Jas. B. Tax surveyor
1872 Stead, W.H. Seed crusher
1874 Henshall, Rev. John
1885 Lutley?, Robert
1892 Stewart, Rev. William Risk
1892 Parkinson, Rev. Frederick M. Wesleyan
1899 Denton, George
1910 electoral roll has no mention
1920-1930 Walsh, Miss Marion Agnes

 

No. 78

1867 Sherwood, Joseph. Clerk
1872-1874 Malone, W. Builder
18851899 Wilson, Mrs. Mary
1892 Ellis, Mrs Emma
1910 Parkinson, James Henry
1920 Sadofsky, ???
1930 Bilton, Ernest. School teacher

 

No. 79

The original house no longer exists. This was a 'set back' house. Temporary photograph.
1867 Healey, Jane. Lodgings
1872 Barron, W. Master mariner
1874 Holmes, Mrs. Isabella
1885-1899 Drury, Edward. Manager
1910-1920 Wilson, Thomas William moved here from Park Street
1920-1930 Biggins, Mrs. Alice. Baby linen dealer

 

No. 80

The original house no longer exists. This was a 'set back' house. Temporary photograph
1863-1864 Cooper, Henry (no house number in 1863)
1867-1874 Waldron, John. Gentleman (relation to 1885 entry at 81?)
1885 Gibson, James
1892 Greenwood, Walter. Clerk
1899 Hildrick, Miss
1920-1930 Chaney, Alfred Richard Henry. Engineer
1920 Chany, Florence; Wright, Charles
Beech close built c. 1988

 

No. 80a

The original House, numbered 80 1/2, no longer exists. This was a 'set back' house. Temporary photograph.
1872 Brownsee, J. Master mariner
1874-1899 Train, Thomas Kelsey (or Kelly). Sail maker, Albert Dock
1890-1910 Cooper, George Frederick (moved from de la Pole Ave)
1920 Coulling: Arthur & Annie
1930 Highley, Miss Elizabeth Mary
Beech close built c. 1988

 

No. 81

The original house no longer exists. This was a 'set back' house. Temporary photograph.
1872-1874 Leaper, W. Clerk
1885-1899 Waldron, Mrs Mary Jane (relation of 1872 entry at no. 80?)
1910-1920 Cumberbirch, Thomas
1920 Cumberbirch, Sarah Beatrice & William
1930 Kemp, John. Grocers assistant
Beech close built c. 1988

 

No. 82

The original house no longer exists. This was a 'set back' house. Temporary photograph.
1867 Lister, Edward W. Butcher
1872 Kroenig, Rev. J.C.S.
1874 Clarke, Robert
1885 Ledger, Mrs.
1885-1899 Malone, Mrs Sarah. (Moved from 130 in 1885, also lived at 129 in 1892!)
1890-1920 Schultz, Max. One of the most colourful characters to have lived in Coltman street. Max was a spy for the British in the first world war. He married Sarah Hilton in 1884 the couple had 5 children and settled in Coltman street. Max was a shipowner by trade and little is known of how he came to work for the secret service. He was arrested for running a spy ring in Germany in 1911 where he served seven years hard labour. Unfortunately, the people of Hull didn't realise what Max was doing for us and his family (as many other German Jews did at the time) suffered abuse and the house was stoned. [Have we changed much?] The family name was changed to Hilton and Max's efforts took a heavy toll on his relationships with his family. He died a broken man from the effects of excessive drinking
1920-1930 Shultz/Hilton, Mrs. Sarah -1920- Hilton, George
1939 Harper Family: George William J., Gertrude Hannah, Frank, Ena Lois & Ivy.
Beech close built c. 1988

 

No. 83

The original house no longer exists. This was a 'set back' house.Temporary photograph.
1867-1874 Morriss, Mrs. Sarah
1885-1899 Barnett, Aaron
1892 Barnett, Mr Abraham
1916 Holiness Church built.
1920 Harwood: Lattin Richard & Elizabeth Ann
1930 Roach, Rev. Edmund. Holiness Church Mission
2001 Bought by local resident family to stop it becoming home to a noisy or unpleasant business.
2002 (October) Bought from the family by locally resident craftsperson 2004 Bought by a local landlord to potentially use as a nursery.

 

No. 84

1863 no house number on W Storr at this time. Present houses are not the original house on this site at this time.
1867 Storr, William. Bacon factor
1872-1874 Cameron, J.G. Engineer
1885 Hildick, Miss Lucy
1892 Thompson, Morrison (or Norrison). Builder& Joiner
1899 Prentice, Mrs
1910 Cutting, Henry
1920 Harris: Gervas & Gertrude Eleanor (moved to 64 before 1930)
1930 Hurlock, John H. assistant sec. to Hull and Sculcoates Dispensary

 

No. 84a

1892-1899 Vivian, George. Secretary
1920-1930 Stoddard, Thomas Thorley. Clerk
1920 Stoddard: Jane Annie & Jonathan Thomas; Leary, John; Dennis, Gerald Vincent

 

No. 84b

1892-1910 Stocks, James (related to No. 87?) (moved to 119 before 1920)
1899 Temple, Mrs
1920-1930 Shores, John William. Pattern maker
1920 Shores, Anne & Herbert; Taylor, George William

 

No. 85

Circa 1741 Built as farm with outbuildings at 86 (according to present owner of 86
A house on this site may have originally been numbered 15, all this as yet not proved. however pre number change John pocklington listed at number 15
1867-1874 Pocklington, John. Gentleman
1885-1899 Pocklington, Mrs Susannah
1909-1910 Mortell, Henry Ramsden
(no mention 1919 Kelly's)
1920-1929 Verity: William, Ada Alice, Herbert, Thomas & Edward Walker; Thacker, Charles Burgin
1930 Barker, Thomas William. Commission agent
1939 Sefton: William & Sarah Ann; Valsamas: Nicholas & Emma Maud; Potter: John & Elsie. (three families lived in this fairly small house in 1939!)
1962-1980s Anning, Horatio and Nelly (source; Granddaughter Anita now living in Canada)

 

No. 86

Circa 1741 Built as outbuildings to farm at 85 (according to present owner)
1867-1885 Johnson, James. Clerk (White's 1867, Kelly's 1874 & 1885)
1892-1899 Jefferson, Arthur Wellesley. Builder (Kelly's 1892/1899, Bulmers 1892)
1910-1920 Scott, John Edward
1920 Scott, Thomasine Wickers (E.R.)
1930 Gillespie, William. Gardener

 

No.87

1874 Lampler, William (White's 1874)
1885 Cookson, Thomas (Kelly's 1885)
1892-1910 Stocks, Frederick. Pilot (relation to nos. 87 & 84b?)
1930 Sharpe, Cyril. Fisherman
This house became a temporary HQ for the residents association at the beginning of the 1980s, before the Community centre on Bean Street was built. In the early 1980s the preferred site for the new centre was to have been where The Mews now stands but Bellway's plans put paid to this and they were offered Bean Street or nothing at all. Unfortunately the position on Bean street made the centre totally disconnected from the very group it was meant to serve.

 

No. 88

1748-1840 A series of indentures and articles (legal documents) may show that a building was already on the plot of land.
1841 Deeds for the plot show that the area probably included the land for 87 and 89 as well as 88.
1874 Scorrer, William (White's 1874)(related to George Scorrer who built 119-121?)
1885-1899 Carlill, Thomas
1892 Mallinson, Mrs Maria
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant
1920 Scott: John Frederick & Sarah Ann; Best?, Edward?
1930 Bourner, David. Dock superintendent
2002 The present house still has the original encaustic tiling and lincrusta wallpaper in the hallway, both in prime condition.

 

No. 89

1874-1899 Barron, William. Master mariner
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920-1930 Seniscal, Mrs. Ellen

 

No. 90

1867 Pickering, William. Gardener
1885-1899 Wilkin, George. Pilot
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920-1930 Wilkin: Miss Frances Mary & Miss Kate (maternity nurse)

 

No. 91

1867 Brown, John H. Master mariner
1872 Webster, W. Agent
1885 Grindell, Joseph
1892-1899 Dowsing, Mr John
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920-1930 Pearson, Joseph. Clerk
1920 Pearson, Ellen? Matilda

 

No. 92

1874 Jones, A.E.
1885 Work, John
1892 Steeksma, Karl. Butcher, Meat importer, poultry merchant. Emigrated from Holland in 1886
His actual name was Klaas Sybrand Steeksma. He then Changed his name to Karel Sybrand and this was then anglicised to Karl. He married Annie Chattham and they had seven children.He died in 1907 at age 46. His son John became an Author, Publishing 3 books "working the mind" "The Writing Way" and "Philosophical Enquiry" Source:- Great Grandson of Karl, Colin Steeksma
1899 Bowman, Walter
1910 Collins, John
1920 Woodcock: Frederick William and wife Johanna (de Boer, Daughter of Hessel de Boer and Jantje (Jane) Steeksma -Karel's cousin.) Source Colin Steeksma
1930 Webster, Mrs. Mary

 

92a Kilburn House

1885-1899 Kirton, Mrs.
1892 Kirton, Christopher Henry. Chemist
1910 Vice, Abraham (moved to 51 before 1920)
1930 Tomlin, Harry. Window cleaner

 

93a Beltana House

1885-1910 Wokes, George
1930 Jackson, Mrs. Marian

 

No. 93

1867 Smith, Ronald. Band master
1872 Morrison, W. Brush maker
1874 Bradley, William
1885-1899 Soulsby, Joseph. Butter merchant (relationship with 94, 128, Mrs Soulsby at 66 & Edward Soulsby at 119 in 1885?)
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1930 Pilkington, Francis S. Foreman

 

No. 94

1867 Sage, Charles. Engineer
1872 Darby, J. Cashier
1885-1910 Soulsby, Mr George. Master mariner. (relationship with 93, 128,Mrs Soulsby at 66 & Edward Soulsby at 119 in 1885?)
1920 Walker, George
1930 Fryer, Frederick Rolan. Secretary
Rebuilt 1991. Currently owned and managed by Sanctuary Housing Association.
Unit 15 Killingbeck Drive, Leeds

 

No. 95

1867-1874 Tonge, William. (junior) Italian warehouseman
William had one cook and one general servant (1871 census).
1885 Tonge, Arthur
1892 Strachan (or Strong), Mrs Jessie Anderson
1899 Strong, Mrs
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female resident
1920-1930 Kirkus, Sarah Alice. Ran the West Hull Day Nursery as matron, from 1921 to around 1930

 

No. 96

This house, or number 95 may formerly have been numbered 7- not yet proven.
1842-1869 William Tonge. Foreign Provision Merchant - An advertisement in Kelly's Directory of 1846 reads:- "Importer of Westphalia and Russia Bear Hams, Sausages, Tongues, Cranberries, Caviare, Anchovies, Macaroni and Vermicelli. A complete Pickle and Sauce Warehouse. Gentlemens Families will find the above Establishment worth their Notice, as every Article is of the best quality." His business was on Scale Lane. (in the old town)
In the 1851 census the family members were William aged 56, His wife Mary aged 48, William aged 20, Daniel aged 18, Arthur aged 15, Robert aged 13 and Thomas aged 11 (5 sons)
1851-1872 Tonge, Robert. Italian warehouseman (son named in 1851 census, perhaps taking over business from father?). Robert had one servant in the 1871 census.
1874 Tonge, Mrs. Robert
1885 Richardson, Mrs.
1892 Batty, Mr John
1910 Dodds, William
1920 Rhodes family: Alfred, Annie Elizabeth, Carl Thurman & Alfred Viotti; Young, Edward James
1930 Phillips, Sydney. Sack manufacturer

 

No. 97

1867-1874 Waugh, George. Gentleman
1885-1899 Foster, Mrs. Jane
1892 Dunn, Mr John Parker
1910 Copeman, Arthur
1920-1930 Cobb, John. Foreman
1920 Cobb, Sarah Rowson

 

No. 98

1867 Taylor, Elizabeth. Lodgings
1872 Filmer, C. Gentleman
1874-1899 Moran, William
1892 Clegg, Johnathon. Inspector
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?
1920 Berry; Thomas & Lily
1930 Berry, Mrs. Jane Elizabeth

 

No. 99

1867-1874 Foster, Mrs. Jane
1892 Stocks, Thomas. Humber Pilot (relation to no. 87?)
1899 Stocks, James
1910 Walton, Thomas Frederick
1920 Daulton: Arthur & Myra
1930 Whincop, Harold. School teacher

 

No. 100

This house may originally have been numbered 4 This is not yet proved but Francis Tadman the younger (sometimes called Junior) appears at No 4 prior to renumbering and at 100 immediately afterwards.
1863-1874 Tadman, Francis the younger. Surveyor
1885-1899 Tadman, Mrs. Ann*
1891-1892 Tadman, Herbert. Timber merchant Tadman and Horwood;
His Irish housekeeper, Charlotte E Charles (55 or 65) and servant Annie (Kirby?)aged 16 yrs c.1910 Greenwood, George Walter (moved from no. 101 before 1910)
{I think this is a confusion between 100 and 102} A ➔ 1921-1950 Municipal Tuberculosis Dispensary
1985 Grade II Listed Building
2002 Currently Council owned

 

No. 101

1846-1874 Jackson, Ralph. Wholesale grocer. (no number in 1846)
1885 Jackson, Mrs. Martha
1891-c.1910 Greenwood, George Walter. General carrier – Greenwood Bros. (Moved to 100 before 1910?)
His Family Wife Evangeline and eldest daughter also Evangeline Elizabeth 11, plus George 11, Daisy 7, Mabel 5, Nelson 4, Roland 2 and Elizabeth Dawson, Servant.
1910 Elder, Joseph
1920-1930 Inkson, Henry George. Fish curer
1920 Inkson, Ellen Georgina
1985 Grade II Listed Building
2002 Currently owned and managed by Sanctuary Housing Association. Unit 15 Killingbeck Drive, Leeds

 

No. 102

"Iddesleigh House" (name no longer in use)
1846 Jeffels: Esther and Jane. Toy dealers premises 1 Market place
1860s Stamp, George. Solicitor
1867-1874 Stamp, Mrs. Ann G.
1885-1892 Dibb, Charles Henry. Seed crusher
His family as shown in 1891 census):- Harriet his wife, Ernest (19), Caroline, Charles and Evelyne his children. They had 2 live-in servants. Mary A Hammond (31) and Margaret Butler(17). Also resident at this time widowed Mother-in-law Annie C Dawson.
1899 Booth, John
1910-1920 Dales, Thomas David
1930 Dales, Thomas William. Wheelwright
Now the West Hull Liberal Club (est. 1935)
1939 Undergoes alterations and extensions
1985 Grade II Listed Building (The listing may only apply to the stables, now in a dangerous state of disrepair)

 

No. 103

Appears to have been the former Number 1 since Alfred Cuthbert Prissick appears at No 1 in 1863 before the renumbering-this is as yet speculation on my part [Angie].
1867-1874 Prissick, Alfred Cuthbert. Corn merchant
1885 Jackson, Julia.
1891-1892 Williamson, James. Grocer
His family in 1891 census:- Wife Emma, Daughters Sophia, Agnes, Emily, Susan and Isabella and son George. No live-in servants listed.
1910-1930 Shepherd, Matthew
1920 Charlesworth, Harold
1985 Grade II Listed Building

103a
This house was occupied by two sets of families for a time
1885 Jackson, Mrs.
1892 Bush, Frederick William. (relation of no.28?
1899 Williamson, James
1899 Jackson, Mrs
1985 Grade II Listed Building

 

No. 104

1874 Smith, Robert
1885-1899 Lattin, John
We have no record of 104 in 1891 census
1892 Adams, Henry J. Grocer
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant or house number gone?
1930 Woodcock, Frederick & Son. Printers

Beyond here is Hessle Road.

 

No. 105

1872-1874 Gilbert, W. of Gilbert & Cooper
1885 Collier, Jasper
We Have William H Adams at 105 in the 1891 census Grocer's assistant.(24) With wife Jessie. (24)
1892-1910 Mosey, Chaloner Ogle (or Challoner, Oglis Mosey). Clerk
1899 Neale, Thomas
1920 Trill, Frances Beatrice
1930 Carrall: John Prince (Marine donkeyman) & Miss Annie (costumier)

 

No. 106

1863-1865 Duncan, William Easten (no number in 1863, listed as 106 in 1865)
1866-1871 Constable, Talbot Clifford. Gentleman

106 Coltman St Hull
Jun 5. 1866

Sir

My coachman tells me that the Mare you got of Mr Stephenson does not suit. I have a horse he says would suit you exactly being very quiet and perfect in all kinds of harness.and one that will stand quiet anywhere a fine stepper and good looking, perfectly sound. I shall be glad to show him to you or your coachman any day you like to call and further to let you have him a few days on trial so as to ensure your being perfectly satisfied with him. Believe me sir, yours truly

Talbot Clifford Constable.
(Letter reproduced from St Matthews 'Link' newsletter, 1987)

The 1871 census lists the (impressively large) household as:-
Sir T. (A.?) Constable. Age 42 Baronet/Landowner, Lady T Constable. Age 40
Count Oscar de Kamienski (age 36) – Secretary (from Warsaw), James Watson (age 42) – Valet, James Thomas (age 23) – Butler, John Mercer (age 17) – Page, William Douglas (age 15) – Page, Agnes Holland (age 24) – Cook, Mary Holland (age 22) – Housemaid, Henry Donald (age 22) – Coachman

1872 Atkinson, Rev. H.S. Curate
1892 Bush, Frederick William, clothier
1910-1920 Wharf, Joseph Francis
1920-1930 Wharf, Mrs Amelia Annie.
1920 Wharf, Henry Francis

 

No. 107

1892 Lattin, John. Inspector (genuki have at 104)
1910-1920 Bush, Edward (note, any relative of Fred Bush formerly 106?)
1920 Bush, Margaret
1930 Bush, Wilfred Douglas. Clothier (and at 107a Swift, Robert. Baker)

 

No. 108

1910 Beckett, Joseph Edward
1930 Klarik, Joseph Woolf

 

108a

1910 Roach, Albert

1920 Brettell: Benjamin & Alice Letitia; Parkinson, Frank Norman

1930 Brown, Arthur. Builder

 

No. 109

1885-1899 Edwards, Mrs Elizabeth
no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant or numbers changed?
1920 Bryant, Gertrude; Morton, Alfred

From pre-1930 Mr & Mrs Bryant (Mrs Gertrude) — Ken Jackson of Memory Lane photographic shop on Hessle Road remembers his 'Auntie Gertie' who's first husband died in the first world war on a minesweeping mission. She subsequently re-married a Mr Bonner but her second husband does not appear in the 1930 directories (was she widowed twice?) Ken remembers that Auntie Gertie was relatively well off. When his mum had difficulty 'making ends meet' to Friday which was pay day for Ken's dad, his Mum would visit Aunt Gertie for the loan of 'half a crown'( 23p) – probably the equivalent to borrowing a 'fiver' now!

 

No. 110

1885-1899 Boyd, Thomas John, Smack owner/manager/foreman
1910-1920 Raine, William Henry
1920 Raine Family: Eliza Jane, Harry Wilkinson & Sidney
1930 Atkinson, Oswald. Ship's chandler(j)

 

No. 111

1885-1899 Coburn ( or Cowburn), Mr Edward
1910 Johnson, Andrew
1920 Vinegrad: Abraham, Bertha & Caseril

 

No. 112

1885-1899 Stephenson, Abraham. Manager

1910-1930 Bartlett, Charles Henry. Clothier

1920 Bartlett: Selina, Ernest Frederick

 

No. 113

Dated "1841" – possibly built by Henry Walker of 24 English Street in 1852
1852-1876 Bartram, Mrs. Ann
Anne had one servant in 1871 census. Her income is described as "from investment"
1885-1930 Thirsk, Thomas. Pawnbroker 129 Hessle Road
1920 Thirsk, Bernard
1985 Grade II Listed Building
2002 This property is currently managed by Duftons 471666

 

No. 114

This house is among the earliest built?
1863-1872 Clark, Michael Wrangles. Outfitter(no house number in 1863)
1874-1899 Pickering, Christopher
1892-1910 Haldane, Samuel Leeming. Shipowner (Pickering and Haldane)
1925-1950 School clinic. Many people over fifty remember the building being used as a clinic. Most memories were of dosages of cod liver oil and malt, some were of painful tooth extractions and many remembered children having their heads shaved to cure head lice or to treat ringworm. Being painted with 'Gentian Violet' (though nobody cared to admit that they'd ever had 'nits'. Things have changed and there isn't the stigma now, that there was then. Albert,(no second name given) now in his fifties remembered buying 'ha'penny cobs' (bread buns) at the bakers round on Hessle Road, and toasting them on the electric fire in the clinic waiting room.
In the 1980s the building was used as a council regeneration office and 'show flats'.
1985 Grade II Listed Building
Council owned until ...
2012 bought for renovation

Has its own Facebook page

 

No. 115

KINGSTON VIEW
1867 Coates, A. Tallow chandler (moved to 140 before 1872)
1872-1874 Douthwaite, R. Timber merchant
1885-1899 Simpson, Richard. Trawler owner, fish and ice merchant – St Andrews dock
(no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?)
1920 Chapman, Hannah Mary
1930 Warren, Henry. Engineer

 

No. 116

THOMAS HOUSE
1863-1867 Sterrick, (in 1863 listed as Steriker) Walter. Spirit merchant
1874 Fernandes, Mrs. Rachel (moved from 54 after 1872)
1885 Johnson: William & George Gilchrist
1892-1930 Highley, Mrs Elizabeth

 

No. 117

1863-1874 Rayner, John. Bank manager
1885-1899 Lawrence, William Hill. Ale merchant
(no mention 1910 electoral roll, female occupant?)
1920-1930 Sugarman, Myer. Cabinet maker
1920 Sugarman, Rose; Goulden, James Charles
In the 1960s and 70s famous campaigner for trawler safety, Lil Bilocca, lived here
In 1968 three trawlers, Romanus, Kingston Peridot and Ross Cleveland were lost with all hands. Lilian and other women of Hessle Road took their fight, to have it made illegal to sail without a radio operator on board, to Harold Wilson (prime Minister).
1985 Grade II Listed Building

 

More house numbers will appear in this directory shortly.

 

All content © Carnegie Heritage Centre. All rights reserved

Carnegie Heritage Centre Ltd, 342 Anlaby Road, Hull HU3 6JA – Registered Office. Registered Charity Number 1131585

Telephone: 01482 561216Contact us here

Logon